The last time I thought about collective nouns for animals was last year when my daughter was writing exams into secondary school (high school). She was impressed with my knowledge. Well, that’s what fathers do – know things.
But my esteem was bruised a few days ago when I was writing a blogpost and needed to use the collective nouns for owls. Turns out the collective noun for owls is – wait for it – a parliament of owls.
Like owls voted by their peers to deliberate on avian matters? That’s crazy. Birds don’t vote. Then I made the connection. Owls are supposed to be wise! Parliamentarians are supposed to be owlish. And owls do have a solemn and brooding look about them. Best candidates for feathered parliamentarians.
They probably do a better job than their human counterpart.
Anyway, below are collective nouns for animals. Some you know. Many will knock your socks off.
- A shrewdness of apes.
- A cete of badgers.
- A colony/cloud/camp of bats
- A sloth/sleuth of bears (like a private detective bear?)
- A swarm of bees.
- A gang/obstinacy of buffalo (bullies!)
- A caravan of camels.
- A clowder/glaring of cats (what?!)
- A destruction of wild cats.
- A quiver of cobras.
- A bask of crocodiles.
- A murder of crows (yea, those ones look ominous).
- A drove of donkeys.
- A convocation of eagles (hope they graduate summa cum laude)
- A parade of elephants.
- A gang/herd of elks
- A cast of falcons.
- A business of ferrets.
- A school of fish (how come they aren’t smart)
- A stand of flamingos
- A skulk/leash of foxes
- An army of frogs
- A gaggle of geese (Listerine or Colgate?)
- A tower of giraffes (but of course!)
- A band of gorillas (G-Unit!)
- A bloat of hippopotami (perfect!)
- A cackle of hyenas ( I have a bone to pick with this one!)
- A shadow of jaguars.
- A smack of jellyfish.
- A troop/mob of kangaroos.
- A conspiracy of lemurs ( Never take lemurs into confidence then)
- A leap of leopards.
- A pride of lions.
- A labor of moles
- A barrel/troop of monkeys.
- A pack of mules.
- A family of otters.
- A team/yoke of oxen.
- A parliament of owls.
- A claw of panthers (Wakanda forever!)
- A pandemonium of parrots (naturally!)
- An ostentation of peacocks (show off!)
- A drift/drove of pigs.
- A prickle of porcupines (of course!)
- A herd of rabbits.
- A colony of rats.
- An unkindness of ravens (What?They were kind to Elijah!)
- A crash of rhinoceroses.
- A shiver of sharks.
- A stench of skunks (expectedly)
- A nest of snakes.
- A dray/scurry of squirrels
- A fever of stingrays (really?)
- A bevy/game of swans (if they are in flight: a wedge).
- An ambush/streak of tigers.
- A knot of toads.
- A gang/rafter of turkeys.
- A bale/nest of turtles.
- A colony/gang/pack of weasels (needed a more cretinous name)
- A pod/school/gam of whales.
- A pack of wolves.
- A wake of vultures (absolutely brilliant!)
- A zeal of zebras.
Then there are a couple of funny ones:
- A scandal of politicians.
- A fringe of lunatics.
- A gossip of mermaids.
- A blessing of unicorns.
Naturally, those gave me ideas and I started coming up with mine:
- A prostitution of whores/politicians.
- A sanctimony of priests.
- A merry of drunks.
- A vanity of celebrities
- A bent of criminals
- A mammon of bankers
- A scrubs of nurses
- A faraday of electricians
- An acrimony of side-chicks
- A fib of marketers
- A pity/shame of beggars.
What crazy collective nouns can you come up with? Rather enjoying this!